12th March, 2014
A while a go ‘I fucking love science’ posted this cute pic:
I thought it was pretty cute, and also pretty spot on. Our cells are totally in tune with us. They are totally connected with what we are thinking and how we are feeling. Getting ready to party and feeling pretty excited? Then your billions of little cells are partying right along with you! Feeling like you are trapped in the darkness and can’t get out? Then your massive population of cells are rocking in the corner too, moaning and groaning in the dark with you. Falling in love and consumed with passion, well don’t look now, but you have a few billion copy cats hanging around you…
Pretty awesome right? And quirky.
So it got me thinking, what are my top 5 quirky (but effective) ways to love my body?
- Hot stone massages. It might feel a bit weird to have someone massage you with oil and rock hard stones, but as long as the therapist massaging you is qualified and knows what they are doing, this is total bliss. Your body will love you for it! Essentially the therapist massages you with the hot stones and then positions them down your spine to heat your muscles and relax you. Hmmm…heaven on a stick!
- Eat colours! This is about giving those billions of adoring cells the nutrients they need to keep you alive. So feed them a range of colours from each food group. So for example: orange coloured food such as carrots, sweet potatoes and pumpkin! Purples, such as blueberries. Loads of green coloured foods such as spinach, kale, broccoli and celery. One of my favourite food websites is Joe Cross’ website. You will find loads of juicing recipes and good food recipes to try.
- Get physical! In any way you can. Walk up and down the stairs. Dance in your kitchen to your favourite KPop or metal song on your IPOD! ‘Snuggle’ with your love…if you know what I mean! Maybe snuggle twice! Walk your cat. Swim in the ocean but only on moon lit nights.
- Mirror it! Find a mirror and give your reflection a good pep talk. Remind yourself what you love about your body. How cool you are. If you feel a bit awkward, take some time to write down your favourite things about yourself on post it notes. Then pop these up on your mirror so you can refer to them if you get stuck. Remember to be kind. Do you love you eyes? Think your hands are pretty cool? Love the way your smile lights up your face? What about your insides? Do you love how clever you are? How quick witted and funny you are? Do you love the way you can sing or the way you look after your mum or grandma? Still feel a bit awkward? Then imagine that you are telling the throngs of cells how much you love them. How cool they are when they sing in the shower or volunteer at the local soup van.
- Dress to impress …yourself of course. This one is about loving who you are and feeling good in your skin. When you love who you are, your body (aka billions of cells) usually reflects that loving. Dress in your favourite colours, or favourite 1970’s tee’s or designer outfits that you won on E-Bay. Let loose your quirky style and be true to who you really are. Because you are wonderful! And you have an entourage of billions of tiny cells that follow you every day to prove it!
“I do not trust people who don’t love themselves and yet tell me, ‘I love you.’ There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.”
― Maya Angelou