One of the things I love about Easter is hanging out with the people that are most precious to me; my family and closest friends. Easter marks the start of colder weather at this end of the world. Day light savings ends, the last of the humidity vanishes, and the we spend the long weekend eating and talking and watching movies together after spontaneous chocolate induced afternoon naps.
So many things to love this Thursday: my grandson hanging out in his bear suit~incredibly cute; interviewing some creative Japanese artists and musicians – such kawaii; freshly baked hot crossed buns with real butter and endless hot cups of tea; red sparkle cup cake surprises on my desk from the most precious cup cake faeries in my life! Loud and crazy family dinners; plotting and planning holidays and weddings…much romance, such excite! Yummy fish cooked by my mother in law who can transform anything into a schnitzel! Sweet smelling candles; late night cuddles and kisses with my love; exploring volunteer opportunities in my neighbourhood; cosplaying…because I can; hot coffee and long chats into the night with my precious friend; buying beautiful exotic tea cups and matching saucers – old school and so much fun; traditional lamb roasts; brightly wrapped chocolate Easter eggs and Greek biscuits; laying in bed reading…*sigh*
Some days we all feel sad. Perhaps we’re sick. Perhaps we are overworked and just plain tired. Sometimes shitty stuff can happen. It’s not the end of the world but it feels like everything is going wrong. Or perhaps something major has happened in your world and you are struggling to find the good.
So to help a little here are my 5 tiny tips to help you smile.
- Call your best friend. The one who always makes you feel a bit better about yourself and the world around you. Even if you only have five minutes – call her.
- Go for a 3 minute walk around the block or into your own garden. Get yourself outside in the sun or the snow and walk. Remind yourself about what is good in your world. In fact challenge yourself to find 10 things on your walk to make you smile. The next door neighbour’s cat. Little people walking in all their Winter gear. Flowers. Birds making nests. Sunshine on your face.
- Find your favourite song right now. Pump up the music on your ipod and sing at the top of your lungs. Or just dance. Imagine that you are playing in the band and air-guitar the flip out of it!
- Eat chocolate. Because there is never a time when chocolate can’t make you smile.
- Hug it out. Hug your dog, your cat, your pet turtle. Hug your best friend or your partner. Hug your kids and your grandkids. Hug your blanket and your pillow. Be kind to yourself. It’s ok to feel a little down. Take a little time to nurture yourself and remind yourself of all of the beautiful people and animals (and fluffy toys) who love you back.
You’re in a good place.
It’s going to be ok.
“I’ve got nothing to do today but smile.”
― Paul Simon